Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Greatest Man I've Ever Known

Today is a day of mixed emotions for me. On one hand its my friend Dustin's birthday. I don't know why but I get almost as excited about my friends having a birthday as I do my own. So while I'm sitting here hoping he has the greatest birthday, his day will be forever overshadowed with the death of my grandpa. Its hard to believe its been 4 years since he passed away and I can still remember it like it was yesterday. When trying to think of all the words I can say to describe how much he impacted my life, I think its just best summed up with he was by far the greatest man I've ever been blessed to have in my life. Grandpa and I were very close. When my grandma died, I went over to his house on a weekly basis to clean his house, run his errands, and drive him places. In return he would tell me stories about growing up, the war, my dad and uncle and of course the Cubs. This went on for about 3 years before his health starting failing. Soon I found myself at his house on a daily basis just sitting with him and watching Cubs games. I took it really hard when he died. I mean in my head I knew the man was 94 years and it was his time but over the years there became no one in the world I would rather spend time with then him. He was my best friend. He taught me so many things and no matter how big or how often I screwed up, he never gave up on me. He introduced me to the greatest love I've ever known....the Chicago Cubs :) As I sit here now 4 years later watching our team inch closer and closer to something he never got to see in his lifetime, a Cubs World Series Championship, I can't help but feel sad he isn't here to cheer with me but I know he's somewhere better rooting them on too. Normally on this day I sit on my bench and chat with him but due to the torrential downpour of rain, I figured I'd pay tribute to him this way. I love you grandpa and I miss you everyday. You will forever be the greatest man I've ever known.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the Cubs even had a no hitter for you guys :)

I'm so glad that you were able to develop such a close relationship with your Grandpa. Even though your kids will never meet him, they'll feel like they knew him through your stories.

Anonymous said...

How awesome, they pulled out a win for your grandpa :)

Tracy said...

I loved your grandpa. He was an amazing man. And an awesome gumball machine. ;-)

I love you.